Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - premium diesel

Thread: premium diesel
View Single Post
post #20 of (permalink) Old 15th September 2015
Diamond member
Nominated 3 Times in 2 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 2
Re: premium diesel

When diesel was really expensive I used to run my and the wife's Mitsubishi Shoguns on 50/50 diesel and clean vegetable oil . The oil was obtained from a local Chinese wholesaler who let me have their dented 20 litre tins for 10 each. The emissions on the vehicles dropped to next to nothing and they ran sweeter and quieter, the only giveaway was a slight whiff of chips from the exhaust when revved. The oil had a cleansing effect on the fuel systems that required the fuel filter to be changed twice in the first year (5 for the filter and a 10 minute job on the car as the filter is screwed onto a bracket on the bulkhead, easy!) and that was it. The fuel tanks were immaculate inside and the cars ran brilliantly and it saved me a fortune in fuel. Eventually the government cracked on and put the prices up on oil and then the wholesaler started running his Mercedes Sprinters on the damaged tins, so my good thing came to an end. Thankfully my scenic is way better on fuel than my shogun and diesel is cheaper [emoji3]
I don't reckon fuel is that different anywhere as long as their tanks are kept clean so bacteria doesn't grow. I use a dash of "fuel set" every six months to clean the system and dispel any water and change my diesel filter every 2 years as I don't do big miles any more.
Fuel set is used in the marine sector and does a better job than anything I've come across on diesel systems and a bottle lasts for years! The only other stuff I recommend is forte diesel treatment for gummed up injectors, bang it neat into a new diesel filter, pour the rest into the tank and drive it hard for a couple of miles and it's done. Forte is used in most workshops.
Currently in Davegayle's garage:
2011 Grand Scenic III 1.5dci EDC Bose Edition & 2007 Megane 1.5dci Expression Sports Tourer
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome