Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Master Door Hinge (2006)

View Single Post
post #3 of (permalink) Old 18th September 2015
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Re: Renault Master Door Hinge (2006)

This is certainly a common problem and seems to be well known across the range of Master, Movano and Interstar vans.
In my case, the right rear door is catching on the wiring grommet and pulling it right out of the bodywork every time I open or close the door. On closer inspection, I noticed that the bottom hinge, which has two separate pivots (in fact two separate hinges in one unit) was pretty well seized up on just one of the pivots, the one which is exposed to the weather when driving, it's the one that's supposed to open freely and open first. On this van, the pivot that allows the door to fold back 270 is the only one opening at all, and that's what's causing the door to catch on the bodywork above the right tail light unit. If the main outer pivot would open first as designed, this wouldn't happen. So for those of you who DON'T have this problem YET, lubrication is the way to go. Slap on the grease guys. Prevention is definitely much better than cure.

After pricing around Renault Vauxhall and Nissan,, (even Opel in Ireland ) this hinge costs on average a whopping 200. I've taken the hinge off the van and made a bath for it out of an old plastic oil can and soaked it in penetrating oil in an attempt to free it up before parting with my hard earned 200. On checking it this morning, it has at last freed up but it's still quite stiff and not completely free as the other side is, so the problem will still be there. There's a metal bar bolted across the two hinges, I reckon it's there to stiffen the hinge but also to act as a kind of adjustable "brake" to allow one side of the hinge unit to have more resistance than the other. I'll let the oil soak in over the weekend and have a good go at freeing it up when I look at it again, and I'll report back.

I reckon that as a last resort, I could tack the free side of the hinge closed for a few weeks, so that the not so free hinge that I've now freed up will allow the door to open 90 and perhaps with a few weeks use it will completely free up.
Currently in meepmeep's garage:
2014 Trafic, 2006 Megane Coupe
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome