Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Misfiring

Thread: Misfiring
View Single Post
post #17 of (permalink) Old 22nd September 2015
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Re: Misfiring

Hi guys, Sorry to revive such an old thread but I feel it better than cluttering the board with a new one of similar issues.

I have a Mk2 Clio, registered in 2000, 1149cc, 8valve engine. I bought this for my son to do up, when we bought it, it was a non runner, or it did run but it was only on 2 pots and pumping out massive amounts of white/grey smoke from the exhaust.

Compression checks show good compression on pots 3 & 4 but none at all on 1 & 2.

The head gasket was our first port of call and indeed there was a major breach between pots 1 & 2 with the metal rings being eaten away over a 1cm stretch directly between the pots 1 & 2.
Head gasket is now changed, timing set back up using various places on the internet for help setting the timing, I am hoping the info we settled upon using is correct and that was to use crank mark at 6 o'clock and cam mark at 12 o'clock for "E1 - E3" on the larger 'arrow' on the pulley rather than the smaller 'rounded' mark on the pulley.
Something I did notice while the cam pulley was removed is that the 'key' which guarantee's the correct orientation of the pulley to cam shaft was damaged, similar to that in the photo I have pinched from elsewhere on this site. Our's is not quite so bad as in this picture but it is damaged all the same.

Dry compression checks are all good now.

On starting the engine, it fires up no problem, ticks over pretty much OK but with maybe a few misfires if yo listen long enough, when you try to rev it up, all we get is a lack of power pretty much as the original poster describes, like it's running on 3 pots now, it will struggle to rev up to say 1500 revs but push any harder then the rev's drop right back off as if the engine is about to cut out, release the throttle and it goes back to ticking over fine. Now, if we leave the engine to warm up or 'play' about with the throttle for a bit until the engine is warm then we can get the engine to rev up to around 3500 revs, but still if we try to get more out of it, then it just backs off as if it's about to stall again. The warmer it gets, the more we can get out of it, BUT when we can get it to rev up we get a lot of smoke from the exhaust still.

We've replaced NEW leads, plugs & coil pack, Not second hand from scrap, they are all new in boxes but still no change.

After reading this thread, Tomorrow (As it's too late & dark out there now) I will be looking into the possibility of injector wiring, Maybe we disturbed it whilst working on the engine and the Crank sensor as previously mentioned in this thread.

Can anyone else shead any light on this for us or have any other pointers for us to check in the morning?

Thanks in advance!

Lardy. (Scratching head)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	{5D44CE07-A2B5-47E2-A1F1-17EE6E8A5805} (1).jpg
Views:	18
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	80498  
Currently in Lardy's garage:
Clio mk2 1149cc X-Reg
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome