Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Scenic - Fire risk - Door mirror control

View Single Post
post #193 of (permalink) Old 20th October 2007
fireball scenic
Diamond member
Nominated 0 Times in 1 Post
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Hi Meesh,

I did go to Watchdog at the beginning of this issue because at that stage RUK wouldn't even return my calls. Then I got hold of the email addresses for all of the senior directors / chief executive of RUK and sent them a copy of our letter regarding the fire.

At the beginning all I knew was that our car had caught fire because of a serious fault. Now I know of a total of seven that have gone the same way (four of which were written off by the extent of the damage). All have caught fire whilst unattended!! This under VOSA's code of practice is the type of fault that warrants full investigation with a recall, if it is decided to be a manufacturing / design fault.

Maintenance can't come into the argument as the mirror switch is a sealed for life component with no user servicable parts. I believe switch failure to be the cause of the fire (Not caused by owner misuse through either water damage or connector damage as Renault are trying to suggest, as this is against all the evidence gathered by their own technical expert & myself).

I have contacted the editor in chief and consumer affairs editor of Auto Express to get some publicity, will see how that progresses. Also I am wondering whether to go back to Watchdog with the whole issue again. This sort of hinges on what RUK say about my own technical report refuting their claims about the cause of our fire. I am waiting for Alex Phelan to come back to me on this report.

Also Tombolian who is the latest victim of a suspected Scenic mirror switch fire is going to be back on their case next week so that will add a bit more drive to the case once again.

The only main weapon I have is that I am an Electrical Engineer who fully understands the design of the electrical system in the car and on that basis continue to push them for a recall, as the whole circuit is poorly designed with regard to secondary protection.

Cheers Dave

When they said "Heated Mirrors" ................
Currently in fireball scenic's garage:
2006 Grand Scenic II DCi130 Dynamique

Last edited by fireball scenic; 20th October 2007 at 10:01 PM.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome