Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Electric Parking Brake failed - now won't start

View Single Post
post #9 of (permalink) Old 27th September 2015
Veteran Member
Technical Supremo
Nominated 27 Times in 25 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 8
Thanked 1,798 Times in 1,377 Posts
Re: Electric Parking Brake failed - now won't start

Sorry Ourkid
I did say many mechanics, not all.
The problem for the motorist is deciding who knows what they are talking about and who doesn't.
I've had the head of service (local Renault Dealers) assuring me that the chances were that the motor on mine was duff.
The moment I said I had a problem with it and wanted advice. Wouldn't listen to the problem, just wanted me to bring it in for a diagnostic.
No chance when the mindset is replace.

One of the problems with EPB motor units from Ebay is guarantees.
Second is that when a new motor is fitted, it gets the VIN number from the motor added to it.
And unless that number is recognised by Renault Can Clips as belonging to the car, which it won't be, setting or even access to it via the software won't work.
Other diagnostic units are getting better at accessing Renault and may work. May not.

We have mixed results on here with second hand replacements, some plug on and work. Others don't.
One way you have saved a boatload, the other you have just spent out over a ton for a doorstop.

There is one company, forget name but it will come to me, that offers rebuilds for around the same price as an ebay scrapper.
And a guarantee.
Probably best bet if you are sure motor has gone.

Shouldn't be more then two hours to fit by the way.
Hour for the mechanics and one for playing with software to set it up.
Currently in Dancingdad's garage:
Qashqai 1.6 spark driven, Kia Sedona 2.9 TDI, Scenic II 15DCi 2004 (SORN) not quite RIP.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome