Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Electric Parking Brake failed - now won't start

View Single Post
post #11 of (permalink) Old 27th September 2015
Veteran Member
Technical Supremo
Nominated 27 Times in 25 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 8
Thanked 1,794 Times in 1,373 Posts
Re: Electric Parking Brake failed - now won't start

Being fair to main dealers (and other garages) once you factor in investigation and repair time at labour rates, it's not many hours to justify slamming on a new part that is guaranteed.

My objection is mainly to the mind set of replace the expensive bit and the computer says no diagnostics.

On a 5 seat scenic.
chock, jack up, support, release parking brake and disconnect battery
Remove rear wheels but can stay in place. Easier with them off though.
Remove rear axle undertray... 4 bolts and a couple of clips IIRC
Centre two bolts hold the parking brake regulator assembly.
Unclip emergency release handle in boot
Two screws hold release cable bracket above axle.
Unclip cables from calipers, tie piece of string to ends.
Two bolts to lower the motor.... support it, a mate does help here for an extra hand but isn't needed.
Unclip electrical connector.
Slide whole shooting match towards passenger side, pulling driver side cable through routing holes as you do. String helps to get them back through.
Once regulator clears fuel tank, you can slide it out of rear axle and down.
If only motor, apart from disconnecting motor cable from regulator, that is it.
If replacing secondary cables, slide assembly back the other way to unthread passenger side cable.
Novel idea for Renault but all bolts are accessible, don't seem to seize and if it wasn't for the space to bring the regulator out of the axle being blocked by the tank, very straightforward.

I do mine about every six months. To grease up the regulator assembly.... they are prone to rust.

I believe the grand scenic is easier as no regulator. But can end up replacing the box for a seized cable.
Currently in Dancingdad's garage:
Qashqai 1.6 spark driven, Kia Sedona 2.9 TDI, Scenic II 15DCi 2004 (SORN) not quite RIP.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dancingdad For This Useful Post:
ours2012 (27th September 2015)
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome