Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Don't know which Diesel Clio to get help me decide!

View Single Post
post #9 of (permalink) Old 27th September 2015
Technical Supremo

Nominated 16 Times in 67 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 28
Thanked 5,199 Times in 4,711 Posts
Re: Don't know which Diesel Clio to get help me decide!

Don't make fuel economy the prime reason for choosing a car. Get a spreadsheet going and calculate the likley overall costs - include purchase cost, insurance, etc, Also factor in servicing costs and don't use Renaults own recommended service intervals as it is well recognised within the motor trade as being far too long and it is recognised that shorter intervals of say 8,000 to 10,000 miles are more likely to help reduce problems. Ask any old hand in the car business about true mpg returns and they'll generally say reduce the manufacturers claims by around 25% and you won't be too far out.

At times it is prudent to sacrifice some fuel economy aganst potential reliability and likley down times.

Also if opting for the 1.5 Dci engine it is not without its faults especially sticking piston rings, etc.

Personally if was opting for a diesel car I have to admit Renault would not be my first choice.
Currently in madnoel10's garage:
Honda Civic 1.4l
The Following User Says Thank You to madnoel10 For This Useful Post:
ours2012 (27th September 2015)
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome