Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Scenic - Fire risk - Door mirror control

View Single Post
post #196 of (permalink) Old 21st October 2007
fireball scenic
Diamond member
Nominated 0 Times in 1 Post
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0

Well there is absolutely no doubt as to the fact that your fire is identical to ours. The scorch patterns on the driver's door window suggest exactly the same ignition source as our car.

Stress the point about the fact the vehicle was parked so close to the front of your house and you are very concerned about the fact it could have taken your home with it. The reason the car didn't burst into flames is because the windows were most probably shut and the fire extinguished itself due to a lack of oxygen, if the windows were left open the the car would have turned into a raging inferno. Similarly if any window were to smash through heat expansion then the same inferno would result. This would have had a possible knock on to your home.

Regarding the hire car it is just a case of telling Renault that your vehicle is essential to you getting around and that you will not be able to get about / work / shop unless you have some form of transport. It is worth asking for an MPV, as that is the vehicle you chose to serve a transport purpose so that is the type of vehicle you require as a temporary replacement. Also did you have any belongings in the vehicle that were smoke damaged by the fire e.g. car seats / buggies / coats etc..... these are all items that you will need to replace due to the toxic smoke residue left behind; no doubt your house will have taken on that smell if you have brought items in from the car!

The vehicle will remain your property as long as you haven't sent off the registration documents to the insurance company so do not worry about where it's been taken, they will not be able to dispose of it without the logbook. Renault should send one of their engineers (Probably the technical expert Steve Gabriel who is a nice guy to deal with) to look at the vehicle to asscertain the likely cause of the fire (which is blatantly obvious). If they arrange an inspection it would be good for you to attend just to keep an eye on what they are doing and hear what evidence they gather. It also gives you a good opportunity to ask as many questions as you can think of, at least you know there are others now that have gone the same way.

Can you email me the vehicle reg. as I would like to add this and the photos to another email to VOSA on the subject and without the registration it will not carry as much weight!

Good luck with your call tommorrow, give them till midday and then chase them if possible and let me know if I can help you further.

Regards - Dave

When they said "Heated Mirrors" ................
Currently in fireball scenic's garage:
2006 Grand Scenic II DCi130 Dynamique
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome