Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - I Do Not Believe It.

View Single Post
post #8 of (permalink) Old 22nd October 2007
Platinum member
Nominated 0 Times in 7 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 8
Presumably this was an ad for the Laguna III, which uses the 1.5 and 2.0 dCi units... not a hint of the previously troublesome 1.9dCi in sight.

And most of the 1.9's problems were down to the original oil spec not being good enough (Renault's fault) and the service interval being too long (also Renault's fault.) These problems were both addressed in later examples of the Laguna II, improving the reliability of this engine considerably.

So while I have to admit that this was a good rant, I'm not entirely sure what the point was. If anything, Renault have realised their mistakes and moved on. The fact that they're not prepared to admit them (beyond the Yellow OTS on turbo replacements) is a political decision that most manufacturers would probably have gone with.

As for Renaults previously being too reliable - that was nearly a coffee on monitor moment. Yes, they took a distinct slump in the late 90's to early 2000s, but they were never the epitome of reliability to start out with.

The Laguna piloted the keycard and the pressure sensor monitors (on a mainstream car at least) and the owners paid the price of progress. Then again, if we didn't have progress, we'd all still be starting our cars with a big handle through the front bumper.
Currently in Horatio's garage:
2010 Laguna III Initiale.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome