Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Clio 2 - Bonnet Catch Failures

View Single Post
post #806 of (permalink) Old 22nd October 2007
Technical Supremo

Nominated 16 Times in 67 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 28
Thanked 5,201 Times in 4,712 Posts
Hi Briggatti - from your last post you say it was designed to stick - would love to see that expression in front of a judge. It has to be accepted all metals will corrode through time and components which are subjected to the elements as in this case should be made from or plated by corrosive resistant materials - such as cadmium plating or the like. From what I hear there have been no cases of the bonnets locks failing within the first few months but after a considerable time. Obviously Renault should have taken the corrosive factors into account during design but from my experience I have seen other manufacturers bonnet catches just as poorly made. They either could have made the componet more corrosive resistant or made it a mandatory check during service. They failed to do both. In my opinion if it had been well plated for corrosive resistance it would still require maintenance as by their position the bonnet catch tends to gather dirt and dust.
Currently in madnoel10's garage:
Honda Civic 1.4l
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome