Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Clio 2 - Bonnet Catch Failures

View Single Post
post #807 of (permalink) Old 22nd October 2007
Diamond member
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Think a slight typo - I said the new mechanism appears to be one that is designed "not to stick" (with little maintenance).

The problem we have is that Renault had designed and manufactured the said part(s) as "maintenance free" (and therefore should have validated this point). Yes you are right in stating that nothing is "maintenance-free" in the long-term, but we be driving cars for several years and not experience a bonnet release...

In fact based on FACTS, we have been driving Renault Clio's for 12 years (sad but true) -- most between 2-3 years old - we replaced prior to the MOT threshold - we had Mark-1, Mark-2 (Phase 1) and Mark-2 (Phase 2) and now a Mark-3 model. At no time did we experience this issue. The issue seems to be common with Clio's, but I didn't state that it doesn't happen to any other model or vehicle. Also, as we have had Clio's for this long, this also "proves" it's NOT the location that created this issue (also what Renault/VOSA believed...apparently the middle of West Sussex is a "coastal area"!).

In fact a poll complete by the mods on this forum indicated Renault models have experienced this issue. Alfa Romeo 147/157 models also had similar "bad press" reports - guess what they did a proper recall and also linked to maintenance. In short, maintenance is ONE factor, but it's not the only factor. This is the point we are attempting to make to VOSA/Renault.

The proof of the pudding would be to see whether the Mark-3 has the same issue during the same time window. Between now and then Renault's are probably assuming that all "bad-models" will eventually be taken off the roads by the normal attrition process (life-cycle of cars)...

Aaron Brigatti
Brigatti Online -

Clio Bonnet-Catch Issues?
- Read the Correspondence Archive (Recently Updated!) @
- and the latest on my experiences @

Currently in brigatti's garage:
2009 Audi A4 1.4 TFSI

Last edited by brigatti; 22nd October 2007 at 08:09 PM.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome