Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Intermittent Starting Problems

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 24th October 2007 Thread Starter
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Intermittent Starting Problems

I have a 1998 Scenic that is not happy.

For a while now it refuses to start at random intervals and at random times. Itís getting worse now and doesnít start more often than it does.

You get in turn the key and it will start to try and turn over then you get a very abrupt stop and thatís how it goes on from there.

All signs act as if itís a flat battery, for example it always resets the clock and radio etc. However, it has a brand new battery on it and I have had it all checked out the alternator is working fine, there is no reason why I should be loosing power.

The car does start if you jump it from another battery though.

The RAC man that had to get me started the other day suggested one of two things, that the timing is out as he said something about it sounding like the engine was trying to start backwards. This was the more likely explanation in his view. Secondly he said it might be the starter motor short-circuiting and draining the battery (but would this not happen every time if so?)

Its got me totally baffled so any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance!
Currently in cve50146's garage:
1998 Renault Scenic, Petrol 1.6 RN
  5 Lastest Threads by cve50146
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
Scenic -98 --1.6 - Lumpy on starting Engines alex21 47 5550 17th December 2007 06:10 PM
Intermittent Starting Problems Cars & motoring ottoman 3 888 24th October 2007 01:05 PM
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome