Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Laguna II - Phase 1 - Engines - DIY turbo swap on a DCi (turbo failure)

View Single Post
post #14 of (permalink) Old 10th February 2006
Sans Prix
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Send a message via MSN to Sans Prix

Ownership has nothing to do with the %. That is an absolute red herring and should be tested by someone - probably via Small Claims County Court! When you buy a car, in general the number of owners should have no bearing on what is paid out. Goodwill should be calculated on age and mileage alone.

This is also true of vehicles under warranty. It would make absolutely no difference on any claim if, for example, the car had been a demonstrator for 6 months, resold and then after 18 months was acquired by its third owner.

On the same subject of failed turbos, Renault SA is very aware of the problem and should you decide to take action, you can ask for the manufacturer to produce all the evidence it has of the failures under the Civil Procedure Evidence Rules. I cannot see Renault doing this somehow!

I am also concerned about the fact that in some cases new turbos are fitted and in others refurbished units. No doubt Honeywell Europe are very distressed about the failure rate of their extremely well engineered product, especially as they state that the refurbishment of units must be carried out to a very high standard that they lay down. These units then carry a seal. Renault's do not and have been known to fail in very short order. I am sure that a very experienced member on here can confirm that one such Renault "refurbished" unit lasted all of a mile, possibly less.

There is one post on Parker's about a car that had three turbos in 40,000 miles, two of them were refurbished ones fitted after 23,000 miles!

I cannot emphasise strongly enough of the need to use 100% synthetic oil , to check that the filter is one of the longlife units (12k miles+), that the EGR valve is checked regularly and that the driver gives some consideration to the turbo in allowing the car to warm up a bit before using "welly" and to let it cool down after a hard run - even a minute would help but two would be better.

I have heard rumours of some Mégane ll 1.9dCi turbo failures - three in one week at one large dealership, with the possibility that one will also require a new engine too! One of my "friendly dealers" reports 13 dCi turbo failures since the beginning of the year. This, no doubt, is due to the prolonged spell of cold weather!
Currently in Sans Prix's garage:
2003 Mégane ll 1.9dCi
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome