Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Children Killed on motorway

View Single Post
post #6 of (permalink) Old 26th October 2007
Platinum member
Nominated 0 Times in 7 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 8
Originally Posted by Maharg View Post
I know it was a very long time ago but I think I did some stuff when I was these kids age, things that should have put me in a box too.

I am sorry for the parents and the drivers, these kids were just normal children looking for adventure who took a step too far.
My sentiments exactly. At age 7 (the older of the two children) I know I was allowed out on my own. We didn't have a motorway running 300 yards behind our house, but we did have a brook right across the road that we used to mess around by. I suppose in this day and age, people would be paranoid about me falling in and drowning.

Maybe there is an issue over parental supervision, but this could just as easily have happened to a couple of 12 year olds. If it had, then there'd be no hint of "I blame the parents" and everyone would be asking the really important question: Why isn't a section of motorway that runs only 300 yards from a housing estate properly fenced off?

As for the sickos being out and about (and that being a reason to keep your kids fenced in) - they were always there. They just make headline news now, whereas in the past they'd only reach notoriety if they killed their victims (Brady and Hindley being the obvious examples.) The Internet may have spawned a whole new generation of keyboard paedophiles, but I'm rather cynical when anyone suggests that there's now a much higher chance of your kids falling victim to one of these perverts in real life.
Currently in Horatio's garage:
2010 Laguna III Initiale.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome