Independent Renault Forums banner

Headlight Adjustment

3K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  davesss 
#1 ·
Hi, I've had a search on the forums but can't find the answer to this (apologies if I've missed it)

Is there a way to manually dip the headlights on my Vel Satis? On my RX4 there's a little dial with 3 settings that bends the beam down or up. I can't find a similar thing on the Vel. I don't have a manual (the joys of 2nd hand) so hopefully one of you can put me out of my misery.

Cheers

Matthew

#3 ·
Yes, I believe it does - very white light. The reason why I ask is that on my up the M1 the other night I seemed to be glaring a lot as it were. I seemed to light up truck sides quite well and some twonk got behind me and stuck his full beam on (thank goodness for the clever rear view mirror!). Do other owners find a lot of brightness or do I need to go see a dealer?

#4 · (Edited)
If memory serves me right,when you first switch the lights on they should move up and down.This is a test to see if the auto adjustment is working.If your doesn't do this,then I suspect theres a problem in the system.I'm not 100% sure that the Renault system works like this,but most Xenons I've come accross do this.

If this seems OK on yours,then the static setting could be a bit high.I'd take the car to any MOT station and get them to check the headlight beam alignment in the gauge used for MOT's and if it's found to be too high I suspect that there are adjusters on the backs of the headlights.Make sure the car is empty though(i.e nothing heavy in the boot:)).

#6 · (Edited)
When I first got my Laguna with xenons I got a few flashes from other drivers and the headlight seemed high to me.

If you switch your dipped headlights on then take the key card out the headlights should go up and down everytime you do it, if they do the auto adjust is working OK.

You can get a basic adjustment of the xenons by turning the screw above each headlight, the screw is in a hole above each the centre of the headlights in the front engine bay cross member, it is a yellow colour and takes a phillips screwdriver or hex key.

Get your headlights about 2 metres away from a wall and on level ground and just adjust them down a bit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.