Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Scenic - Fire risk - Door mirror control

View Single Post
post #200 of (permalink) Old 26th October 2007
Platinum member
Nominated 0 Times in 1 Post
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 2
Originally Posted by fireball scenic View Post
With apologies for anything lost in translation

Incendie localisé sur SCENIC
Localised fires on the SCENIC
24 janvier 2006 Jean Claude Méret
24the January 2006
Incendie récurrent sur les rétroviseur du modèle.
Recurring fires on the rear-view mirrors of this model

My note: 'Localised' in this context refers to the contained area of the fire, i.e. the switch and its surroundings)

Incendie localisé sur SCENIC
Localised fires on the SCENIC

De façon spontanée, un certain nombre de véhicules du modèle dans la marque ont connu une inflammation localisée, qui trouve naissance dans le rétroviseur à commande électrique de la porte conducteur.

Without warning, a certain number of vehicles of this model from this maker have experienced a localised fire, starting inside the electrically-controlled rear-view mirror on the driver's side

Ci dessous un témoignage d’un confrère qui a relevé le défaut dès apparition.

Below is a report/testimony of a fellow-member who has brought the defect to our attention.

"le cas sur un scénic, phase 1, après renseignement auprès d’un agent de la marque, ce phénomène est connu. Le commutateur de réglage des rétroviseurs se met en court circuit, à priori par les impuretés qui pénètrent à l’intérieur.

"This concerns a scénic, phase 1, and I informed a maker’s dealer who said this fault is known. The switch of the rear-view mirrors is shorted by foreign substances that enter it.

Conséquences pour notre cas : incendie partiel de la garniture intérieure de porte et du faisceau électrique."

Consequences in our case: partial fire in the interior door trim and the wiring loom."

Depuis de nombreux confrères ont fait état sur notre groupe d’échanges de cas comparables pour lesquels les numéros de séries ont été relevés et sont à disposition des experts membres, pour la meilleure gestion des litiges qui leur sont impartis.

After many fellow-members reported similar experiences, case numbers have been raised which are now in the hands of expert-members for the best management of the claims now in their hands.

If someone more fluent in French is reading this, please give us a better translation.

This link takes us back to 24th January 2006 and Renault told you this year that they didn't know about this problem and needed time to investigate your incident? What blatant lies are these and how can VOSA be taken seriously if they cannot grab Mr Renault by the short and curlies and make 'him' put things right?

From my experience, they will try anything to fob you off if you let them think that they can. Any signs of uncertainty and weakness and they will very nicely apologise because they "can't help you, so please foff".

Look at your house insurances and see if you have legal cover which will take up the cudgel against Mr R. Just hope that your insurer is not owned by Mr R. The French are well known for pulling strings, and you'd better believe that they have plenty of clout.

I've just read all the way thrugh the thread and I know this doesn't help anybody; but after the Clio bonnet, this makes me want to throw up.

Start thinking about suing for compensation for the distress caused to you by the fire, the unnecessary delay when they have known about the problem since January 2006, and their continued refusal to act responsibly. They are unnecessarily prolonging your distress.

All these months of waiting and all the excuses just because Renault and VOSA chose to procrastinate. Does anyone believe that VOSA was not also aware of this problem or am I the only one who thinks that government agencies are suitably manned to follow what is happening internationally in their field of operation? They will undoubtedly even have Internet in their offices so who hasn't been putting that to good use?

So it seems to have been happening well before the cases started to appear on this forum; I think that going to look for a spare switch in a breaker's yard only to find that the cars there also have burnt-out switches, is very telling.

I think Mr Renault should hang his head in shame.

Confucius he say "Wise Inuit never eats yellow snow"
Currently in vass20's garage:
Citroen Relay 2.2 HDi + Citroen C4 1.6 HDi EGS
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome