Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - A TDC question - sorry :-/

View Single Post
post #2 of (permalink) Old 27th October 2007
Platinum member
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Send a message via MSN to stef123
Originally Posted by cheekylemon View Post
Hi Guys.

I may be here from time to time as the missus has a Clio. Nice tidy little car, much better than her old punto that blew up!

Anyway, I thought I would say hello and run a problem past you fine people.

Girlfriend got up in the morning and the car would not start. I jumped it off the Vectra, and engine fired and ran, albeit revving up and down (her car does that when it starts, not sure why). Literally 1 minute later she is back, car has cut out and wont start.

When I turn the key, all the lights on the dash go weird, and the starter will not turn. Other times, the starter clicks, but does not turn the engine.

No when there are jump cables on the car, the starter motor turns for a little while, and then cuts out, as if the immobilser has cut in. If I turn the ignition on and wait a few seconds, and then try to start - nothing. Immobilser I guess.

So, any ideas? I have had the TDC thingy out and had a look at it. It's all magnetic and appears OK. Renault parts desk are closed till monday so I'm shafted till then anyway.

Any ideas will be most welcome. Sorry if this is a common question, I have had a read but my symptoms seem a little different to everyone elses. Thanks
i know that im not gonna be a lot of help but i had a similar starting problem i think...
when i turned the key it would just click and do nothing, sometimes make the lights dim. when connecting the jump leads, are you connecting the negative to the engine?(hopefully not to the battery). once i changed my starter i found i was still getting the clicking sound but much louder... so i connected a spare jump lead from the battery to the engine, and it starter no problem. so ive now narrowed it down to a bad earth connection to the engine. but it appears my problem was both a bad earth and a wonky starter, when i connected the jump leads from another car(negative to the engine) it was still just clicking. as for the immobiliser, i think im right in saying it would allow the engine to turn over but not fire. not sure about the poor running but im sure another member will give you advice on this soon
Currently in stef123's garage:
2006 Ford Mondeo ST TDCI

Last edited by stef123; 27th October 2007 at 05:26 PM.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome