Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Laguna II - Phase 1 - Buyer's Guides - Oil specification by Elf.

View Single Post
post #11 of (permalink) Old 10th February 2006 Thread Starter
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Smile What is best

I have read the various replies and can only come to one conclusion. You get what you pay for? It seems to me that if you want the best protection from your oil then you would use the A5 spec in either 0W30 or 5W30. This is what Elf say to use for two year servicing intervals, but of course you could change the oil before two years or 18000 miles. For myself I would use 5W30 and change it every 6000 miles as I have done for the last 44 years, and to date I have never had to do any repairs or replacements to the engines of any of my Renaults.
As was pointed out to me by one of our club members the other night (Renault Owners' Club), if you have your car serviced by a dealer you could always supply the oil yourself, for peace of mind.
I have never yet let anyone else service my vehicles, as having seen other peoples cars and their owners comments I would not be very confident in any one else doing it right.
One last point in reply to lagdti, I did not say it was because I used any named oil only that I change it more often than most people.
Currently in ren25's garage:
Laguna 11 1.8 16v Authentique Auto 5 door Hatch

Last edited by ren25; 10th February 2006 at 11:24 PM.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome