Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - truckers over regulated???

View Single Post
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11th February 2006
Platinum member
Nominated 0 Times in 7 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 8
I must confess, I had more of an issue with him doing 85mph rather than being in the outside lane. That's more than 50% over his speed limit, and if you look at it that way, the equivalent of doing 106mph in a car. And as anyone who's been caught doing over a ton on the motorway will attest (fortunately I only know people who have) you're liable to get the book thrown at you. Personally, I reckon Irish trucks should be forced to have speed limiters fitted and enabled if they're to be used in this country, but the way the Euro vehicular laws tend to work, as long as a vehicle is legal in its country of registration, it is by definition legal in the rest of the EU.

But on the whole, I do feel that this country is becoming too safety-obsessed, especially when it comes to the roads. There always has to be a compromise between safety and practicality, but I think the politicians have lost sight of that. If this country carries on the way it is, before we know it we'll all be driving foam rubber cars with a top speed of 10mph. Road deaths will drop to zero, but to get to the office tomorrow morning, you'll have to set off half an hour before you get home tonight.
Currently in Horatio's garage:
2010 Laguna III Initiale.

Last edited by Horatio; 11th February 2006 at 04:46 PM.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome