Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Laguna I - Phase 2 - Bodywork - Bonnet opening problems !

View Single Post
post #12 of (permalink) Old 30th October 2007
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
I managed to change the whole lot on my own.

But it was a knuckle chopping experience! Both my bonnet catches had seized on my Phase 1 RT sport and buy pulling and yanking managed to snap the cable. I must admit I did get some help opening the bonnet from my friendly garage man. He had the car on the ramp and used only what I can describe as the longest screwdriver I have ever seen and managed to prise them open. To cut a long story short he put a temporary fix in by freeing one of the the catches and cleaning it up and I had a small peice or cable dangling out the side of the car so that I could at least open it.
Trying to save some cash I sourced a couple of second hand working catches from a breaker ( about 20 quid for 2 ) and cleaned them up best as possible. I decided that it would be in my favour not just to replace the broken cable ( from the handle to the passenger side catch ) but also the one that runs between the two catches. I got those from my local renault dealer ( about 30 quid for the two I seem to recall ) Fitting the two catches ( 10 mm bolts I think ) and the cable between the two is simple. The long cable between the passenger side catch was quite a struggle , but I was lucky that I could attach it to the old cable and use that to help pulling it through the bulkhead. A good tip is to remove the casing around the fuse box by undoing the 3 three corx screws and leavering it out , this gives you just ennough space to get a 10mm ring spanner on the bolt that holds the handle mechanism in place. feeding the cables through the bulkhead can be a struggle , it is very tight behind the dash , you need to be double jointed ! Mind you I was on my own and with a friend to assist it may be easier. I hope this helps in some way , I am by no means a mechanic so If I can do it then you guys can. You might speak some quality Gordon Ramsey speak doing it though !

Currently in jasegooner's garage:
1996 Renault Laguna rt sport 1800
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome