Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - I want Sat Nav! - Laguna II

View Single Post
post #13 of (permalink) Old 6th August 2005
Platinum member
Nominated 0 Times in 7 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 8
Originally Posted by MikeG74
Can I remove My CD Player and Put the offical Renault (colour screen Display) One in my car?

Please Help,

I can think of plenty of good reasons not to do this, many of which have already been mentioned. But top of the list is the fact that Carminat is crap. No seriously! It's awful!

The problem is that the design is at least five years old (even more if you consider that it's really only a customised version of an even older VDO-Dayton system.) It's buggy, it's slow to calculate routes, it makes really, really, really stupid routing decisions, and I reckon the interface was designed by someone who had a grudge against humanity. When I first got it in 2002, I thought it was the dog's proverbials, but things have moved on and unless you buy the new shape Laguna, Carminat hasn't.

Having used Carminat for three years, TomTom is a breath of fresh air. My 'GO' calculates routes much more quickly than Carminat and has a touch-screen interface that'll actually let you 'type' on a keyboard (you only realise just how frustrating the 'twiddle-click, twiddle-click' interface of most other sat-navs is once you've had touch screen.) For curiosity's sake, I ran the two side-by-side for a while, but nowadays I don't even bother with Carminat unless I've left my TomTom at home or lent it to somebody else.

Go on, buy yourself a TomTom. You know it makes sense.
Currently in Horatio's garage:
2010 Laguna III Initiale.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome