Independent Renault Forums banner

Renault - Scenic II - Diagnostic Socket Location *Pics*

168K views 33 replies 19 participants last post by  Nottnoc 
#1 ·
The Diagnostic Socket is located between the two front seats in the example shown a Sliding Centre console is fitted .

On vehicles not fitted with the sliding centre console the socket is usually located under a mat/cover in the location shown.

See less See more
#4 ·
If you car is a petrol older than 2001 or a diesel older then 2004 than any EODB code reader will work (IIRC you can pick up a hand held code reader for about £15 on fleabay) ... if you want live data etc then you'll want on ELM327 cable for your laptop and some software to drive it (I use Engine Check Pro fron Gendan)

#5 ·
Hi,

I had a look at the website for the diagnostic software. Looks pretty good.

One thing. Does this cover renault fault codes. I'm just asking since I picked up somewhere else on the forum that renault have a lot of manufacturer specific codes that are only known to renault, and can only be diagnosed by hooking up to renault diagnostics.

I am keen to buy this software but obviously if it wont offer much help in the renault department I would save my pennies. Perhaps you have direct experience of using this on a renault? Any help greatly appreciated.

#6 ·
i have so far tried every diagnostic software around, with both the ELM327, and the K-Line cable, and never managed to pick up the Parking Brake error code i have.

the only software that will pick up this seems to be the Renault Clip. DDT2000 will, but getting a compatable cable is impossible

#7 ·
Hi,

Thanks for getting back to me with that.

So other than the parking brake error code not being picked up, do you find the software otherwise beneficial for error diagnostics?

I am not fully up to date with the type of information available using this software. I know it clears error codes, but do you find the errors from a diagnostic standpoint quite easy to interpret in terms of pointing to the cause of a problem? Also are you using the error code list supplied from the software vendor.

TIA

#8 ·
so far, it has only picked up one generic fault code, which transposed to an ignition fault using a website which lists all generic codes.

problem with the renault, is all NON generic faults, such as airbags, brakes, abs etc etc are not picked up using laptop software, UNLESS you have the CLIP which is about £500, or DDT2000 with a working cable, which as i say, I have been unable to source

#13 ·
There is a list of the generic EOBD codes here......

http://www.bba-reman.com/content.aspx?content=Fault_code_library_obd2_eobd

This is everything that your average EOBD code reader will give,it is all engine related and most of it is emissions related.

For any other system on the car you'll something specific to either French cars or just Renaults.Renault are very slow to release some of their info,especially on the later stuff concerning the airbags and ABS.:(

I'm sure I've seen reasonably priced scanners that can read and reset the electronic handbrake though,unless I was dreaming.:eek:

#15 ·
Thats certainly a handy link.

Although as you mentioned these are generic codes all engine related, I notice they are EOBD codes. With the renaults, 2004 + for diesels, that use OBDII, will these codes still be accurate? Since these are generic will they also be the same codes that renault use? I'm thinking if they weren't, you could potentially be chasing the wrong fault otherwise.

#17 ·
... the EODB'ness of cars only relates to the engine ecu, all other ecu's are generally bespoke. :(

There is a program called unidiag which is free that can talk to ABS and AirBag systems in addition to the engine edu, you need to supply it with a configuration file that tells it how to communicate with the bespoke systems, there is a Yahoo group that supports it ...

#26 ·
OBD2, though you probably figured it out..

so this is my diagnostic socket ? ok what diagnostic tool can i buy cheapish so i don't after keep running to Renault and them charging me £60 for the codes ? links please :)
Nowadays you don't have to buy a specific tool anymore - you can buy any OBD to bluetooth and use one of the many android apps (Torque, DashCommander) to do everything you need, or OBD to USB and use a laptop.
I bought mine from aliexpress, spent 10$ and bought 2 pieces, one bluetooth and one usb (the windows apps for obd are FAR better than the android apps in my taste).

Correction no longer needed ;)
Thanks hondo!!

#27 ·
OBD2, though you probably figured it out..

Nowadays you don't have to buy a specific tool anymore - you can buy any OBD to bluetooth and use one of the many android apps (Torque, DashCommander) to do everything you need, or OBD to USB and use a laptop.
I bought mine from aliexpress, spent 10$ and bought 2 pieces, one bluetooth and one usb (the windows apps for obd are FAR better than the android apps in my taste).

Thanks hondo!!
Sorry NO, that's not quite right.
Torque & all the others ONLY do OBD or OBD2 which is ONLY for engine related faults.
Anything body wise, Heating, Alarm, Immobiliser, ABS, EPB, Airbag, etc Then you need the full blown, big boys toys, expensive diagnostic stuff. Can Clip & DDt2000 being the two official Renault Types.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.