Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Scenic - Details On Replacing RX4 Prop Bearings

View Single Post
post #36 of (permalink) Old 3rd November 2007
Diamond member
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
went to propshaft clinic today and spent about 3 hours there!!
i had all of it checked. the rubber doughnut has gone and the front band has gone as well. At the same time he checked the actual shaft and thought it would be better to renew it all as this could fail within the next 3 months or so.

the upshot of this is either spend 250 on new doughnut and band, or spend 450 for a new propshaft with those bits already on. Also if you ask for a factory recon unit (no such thing really) I may be able to get it cheaper on exchange. This is to do with EU recycling initiative and they get big grants towards recycling the old stuff.

the propshaft is pressure welded on mine and there are some shafts which are trad welded and these can be repaired.

Unfortnatley this is not specific to renaults, he showed me a 10K miler prop shaft from a Jag and an 07 smashed joint from a VW.(amonst lots of other inc a freelander) the manufacturers are all cost cutting and making cars lighter which means flimsier parts and "add ons" to get round engineering problems to cure vibrations.

This guy I spoke with knew his prop shafts and was really into them, and I mean really, he can speak for hours on the subject, so i have no reason to disbelive him ( even took me round the worshop/museum tour to show all the parts he was talking about)

the upshot is I think I will get a new shaft and am told to phone round different renault groups as they all have their own pricing policy.
Currently in drewpy's garage:
no more renault, it died
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome