Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Changing active rear fog light 2005 Scenic

View Single Post
post #3 of (permalink) Old 4th November 2007 Thread Starter
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0

for the advice Mr Espace.

Unfortunately the rear light cluster on the left hand side was not wired up for a fog light - despite having a bulb fitted. I compared left and right hand clusters and the working right hand one had a purple wire leading to the multiconnector pin 5 while the left hand multiconnector was missing both wire and connector pin.
So I stripped 1 cm of insulation off the purple cable, spliced and soldered a 1.5 mm cable into it and ran the cable around the boot opening to the left side. As I didn't have a suitable connector pin (they are narrow and have a 90 degree bend) I stripped about 2 cm of insulation off the end of my cable, bent it 90 degrees about 1 cm from the end, untwisted and retwisted the last cm to form two jaws like the multiconnector pins have and then tinned them. The multipin connector opens easily and, as a precaution against short circuits, I put an insulating wall of sticky tape on each side of the connector pin well before putting my cable into the well and reclosing the connector.

In order to prevent overloading the circuit (unlikely I know but why take risks while the car is still under warrenty?) I removed the fog bulb from the right hand cluster before refitting both clusters.

Now I have a functioning left hand fog light and hopefully the car will pass its Swedish registration inspection tomorrow.
Currently in mango8's garage:
2005 Grand Scenic Maxim 1.9 FAP

Last edited by mango8; 4th November 2007 at 05:35 PM.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome