Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - dirty head lights

View Single Post
post #24 of (permalink) Old 3rd November 2015
Diamond member
Nominated 8 Times in 6 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 4
Re: dirty head lights

Assuming that an '07 Laguna has polycabonate lenses and not glass, the interior 'dirt' could be UV damage from the headlight bulbs. My Clio II polycarbonate lenses suffer from the common dulled effect caused by exposure to UV but, unlike many others I've seen, it's mainly concentrated at the bottom of the lens and is in a roughly horizontal line. UV damage from the sun will obviously affect the uppermost surfaces the most. My upper surfaces (the indicator lenses) are the least affected and in addition to that, repeated polishing with a dedicated kit had no effect on the bottom section, yet it did wonders for the top section.

I read the hand book (for a separate reason) and saw it advised the use of anti-UV incandescent* bulbs. After switching the dipped beam lights on and looking at them directly, the cut off line for the beam aligns perfectly with the yellow, dulled section of the lenses at the bottom.

I never even knew there were 'normal' and anti-UV incandescent bulbs before this but can only assume someone has fitted normal bulbs for many years prior to my ownership.

Now I know I won't be able to polish out this hazy lower area unless I remove the lens in an oven, which I cannot be bothered to attempt. I'll stick to buying a new/good used set if they ever fail the MOT test through output reduction.

*I have no idea about any differences in gas discharge bulbs.
Currently in Coventry's garage:
2003 Clio dCi 65
The Following User Says Thank You to Coventry For This Useful Post:
hondo (3rd November 2015)
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome