Independent Renault Forums banner

dirty head lights

5K views 26 replies 10 participants last post by  TTT 
#1 ·
Hi every one, my better half has a Laguna estate on a 07 plate. the problem is that the head lights look dirty but its on the inside of the lamp. Can the glass be taken off & cleaned or is it new units that's required. many thanks Gerry.

#7 · (Edited)
I've got to be honest though KRise

That's the sort of thing I'd like to try on someone else's car first. :rofl::rofl:

Having said that, if the choice was either paying a around 100 notes for a new one, I'd rather try that first :d

I've always had the moto If it's virtually scrap now, you can't make it any worse. :)

#14 ·
Would use an RTV sealant ,or the stuff that you use to seal a bath(silicon sealant),same thing ,but the first because i would have it any way and im a tight a==e ,but if i had to buy it and didnt work on cars the latter because i could use it the house when needed:d

#17 · (Edited)
How do you get dirt inside the headlight? :confused:

Can you post a photo of the dirty headlight.

Cheers.

#19 ·
Aye....I'm not one to sit on the fence :d

#20 ·
No splinters in my ar5e either.
Consider what happens when a bulb blows & the glass shatters, doesn't happen often but it does happen.
Or it could be full of silicon RTV from the last time it was off? :d:devil::sofa:

#24 ·
Assuming that an '07 Laguna has polycabonate lenses and not glass, the interior 'dirt' could be UV damage from the headlight bulbs. My Clio II polycarbonate lenses suffer from the common dulled effect caused by exposure to UV but, unlike many others I've seen, it's mainly concentrated at the bottom of the lens and is in a roughly horizontal line. UV damage from the sun will obviously affect the uppermost surfaces the most. My upper surfaces (the indicator lenses) are the least affected and in addition to that, repeated polishing with a dedicated kit had no effect on the bottom section, yet it did wonders for the top section.

I read the hand book (for a separate reason) and saw it advised the use of anti-UV incandescent* bulbs. After switching the dipped beam lights on and looking at them directly, the cut off line for the beam aligns perfectly with the yellow, dulled section of the lenses at the bottom.

I never even knew there were 'normal' and anti-UV incandescent bulbs before this but can only assume someone has fitted normal bulbs for many years prior to my ownership.

Now I know I won't be able to polish out this hazy lower area unless I remove the lens in an oven, which I cannot be bothered to attempt. I'll stick to buying a new/good used set if they ever fail the MOT test through output reduction.

*I have no idea about any differences in gas discharge bulbs.

#27 ·
Are you sure the discolouration isn't on the outside of the light?

I've seen and restored a few lights with discolouration... in most cases all you need is some rubbing compound and some elbow grease.

Why not post up a picture of the lights so we can take a look.

Cheers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.