Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Anyone retro fitted carminat sat nav?

View Single Post
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12th February 2006
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
It could be poss, but there are a number of things to consider.
If its a 2004, then you should still be under dealer warranty, this will defiantly end that.
Anyway how the carminat works. Basically a VDO Dayton on steroids.
It comprises of two units, the CCU (renault bit) and the carminat computer(VDO bit).
THE CCU (Central Communication Unit) connects to;
The vehicles multiplex network. (everything talking to everything, eg ABS, ECU , Xenons etc) ie. The CCU uses the ABS computer for speed.
Radio, for display overlay.
Voice Synth con,
steering wheel radio control,
ext temp sensor,
plus many more.

So you need to wire to all this!

To install the screen on a vel satis means removing the dashboard, and will mean removing the steering wheel, which means dis-arming and removing the airbag. I for one would not do this, airbags can save you, but if you are unsure of their safe removal, they can also kill you.

Problem is your model will poss not have the correct wiring loom. It will mean some serious wiring and messing about with scotch-locks.
I'm not sure where you can connect to the multiplex network, but a word of caution. The Multiplex network allows devices to talk. eg the ECU sends out revs, the dashboard receives this info, and displays it on the dial. The multiplex network is a twisted pair bus network, which requires terminating to function. (kind of like ethernet, for IT people) This is done by the ECU and UCH . If you hack this about, then everything could stop functioning. Immobilise, door locks,ABS, etc (If you want more on this, best to search on the WEB for the CAN (Controller Area Network) protocol. This is an open standard that most car manufactures use, inc renault).

Not to put you off, but I will be surprised if any dealer will do this. If they did, the labour hours would be massive.

I personally prefer, same as you, the built in ones compared to the cheap stick on windscreen jobs. The nearest you can get to go for something like the VDO Dayton, with and Ext 5" screen. Plus add-ons like, reverse camera, TV, TMC,

If you are like me, then I like it to look neat, and I do not drill holes in my dash, checkout. They do have an english site. I have not used them, but I'm looking to order one for my carphone.

As it a lot of hassle, I just bought my car with it fitted.

If you want more info then post a reply, and will try and answer.
Currently in NETMAN's garage:
2003 Laguna ST int 3.0 V6 & 2005 Clio Exp DCi (65)
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome