Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - fuel 1+ a litre

Thread: fuel 1+ a litre
View Single Post
post #22 of (permalink) Old 9th November 2007
Platinum member
Nominated 0 Times in 7 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 8
Originally Posted by moi View Post
What exactly is this Tax for? we already pay road tax and council tax for the roads, speeding fines etc, so why even more tax
None of the government levied taxes in this country are specifically for anything - they just all go into the big pot. Where the money goes from there is anybody's guess. I've got my own opinions, but I've probably voiced them often enough. At least with your council tax, they send you a breakdown of how much has gone to the police, how much has gone to the fire service, how much has gone on refuse collection etc.

I don't think anyone would deny that the government takes a lot more money from transport than it puts back in. They do it on the basis that this should make us greener (buy more economical cars and cover less miles) but if that was their true intention, they'd effectively control the price of fuel - taking a bigger cut when oil prices were low, and a smaller one when they were high.

I suppose we should at least be thankful that the duty is a fixed price per litre, rather than a percentage mark-up on the actual cost of the fuel. The price really would have sky-rocketed then.
Currently in Horatio's garage:
2010 Laguna III Initiale.

Last edited by Horatio; 9th November 2007 at 09:37 AM.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome