Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Scenic - Fire risk - Door mirror control

View Single Post
post #244 of (permalink) Old 9th November 2007
fireball scenic
Diamond member
Nominated 0 Times in 1 Post
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Originally Posted by batmanjd View Post
It would be interesting for V.O.S.A. or others to know why Renault changed the switch some years ago, as seems clear. Were they aware of potential issues then (without any/many failures) and improve the switch in the hope that the potential for failure would not materialise into actual failures?

Just a thought!

John D.

Again this might explain why we haven't seen the fault in any models later than 2001 to my knowledge. I know a factor in the cause of the fire is the distance between the tracks on the PCB inside the switch. Because the ground and positive connections are so close together, any moisture on them forms a resistive circuit to ground. If necessary I will post up photos of the type of switch involved and the typical pattern of damage that occurs initially.

Are all 2002 onward Scenics fitted with two position switches with no center off position? If so I think you have a very valid point John!

Cheers - Dave

When they said "Heated Mirrors" ................
Currently in fireball scenic's garage:
2006 Grand Scenic II DCi130 Dynamique
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome