Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Laguna II - Phase 1 - Electronics - Xenon Headlights - Discussion & how to change out

View Single Post
post #10 of (permalink) Old 7th August 2005
Platinum member
Nominated 0 Times in 1 Post
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Originally Posted by Laguna II Owner

"What will cause my lamp to cycle on and off?
This is an indication that the lamp has reached the end of its life. Replacing the lamp with a lamp specified to operate with the installed ballast will usually correct the cycling. This problem is most likely to be observed with High Pressure Sodium lighting systems."

My question :- This is the problem I am experiencing !! Any Xenon tech's out there ??

Please help me I need to get my car MOT'd - URGENT !!

Re my original post on this subject.

I said that from the symptons you describe it sounds like the bulb. AS your bulb ignites correctly and then shuts down, it would appear that the ballast is doing its job. The ballast provides the high voltage to initially allow the bulb to ignite. The bulb then runs on a lower voltage supply. It may be this supply to that lamp that fails, but more than likely the bulb. It is very rare for Xenon bulbs to fail completley, unless they go way way over recommended hrs of use. They usually stark to flicker,go dimmer and fail to ignite of go off shortly after ignition.
I am a Medical Electronics Engineer, one of my jobs includes maintaining the "Xenon Light Sources" used for key hole surgery. Whilst I do not profess to be an expert in the theory of operation of these units, in the 12 yrs I have worked on them only ONE bulb has ever failed completley and only ever one High voltage ignition starter circuit failure. The bulbs usually provide symptoms as I have just described. Medical Lamps are guranteed for 500hrs, after thatthey should be replaced - if you buy direct from manufacturer you can pay 1000, we source them from other places ( still original lamps) for about 300- 400. I am not suggesting every onwer replaces Xenons just for the sake of 500hrs use tho - that would be madness.
Just another thought, don't know if its possible tho. Can you swap the connections over, i.e o/s lamp connections to n/s connections. If so and the bulb stays on you know your bulb is faulty. If the symptons are the same it points toa problem with the ballast.

Currently in SportTourer's garage:
2010 Laguna III SportTourer Initiale Tom Tom.

Last edited by SportTourer; 7th August 2005 at 10:06 AM.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome