Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Megane - Engines - Megane oil light

View Single Post
post #7 of (permalink) Old 13th February 2006
Veteran Member
Technical Supremo
Nominated 2 Times in 20 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 18
Thanked 1,103 Times in 942 Posts
Firstly take it back to the garage and make them aware that the problem still exists.
It still sounds like an electrical fault to me,but ideally the oil pressure needs checking on a road test.I know this won't be easy to do,but it would confirm it one way or the other.Until you know if you are actually loosing pressure or not it's going to be guess work and very hit and miss.
It sounds like theres a bad connection somewhere that opens up under hard acceleration,i.e when the engine tips back through the torque reaction of pulling away.
I suppose it's possible that the oil may move back in the sump momentarily under the same conditions and let the pump run dry for a second or two,but this is unlikely.
I would suggest that you slightly overfill the oil level to see if this makes any difference but you run the risk of damaging the cat if the oil gets burnt and goes out through the exhaust so this is a no no!.
I'd give the garage another chance,and see if they can come up with any more ideas.
Sorry I can't be more help but these sort of problems can be a nightmare to fix even if you have the car in front of you!Keep us posted on developments.

I'd rather push my Alfa than drive a BMW....
Currently in Lagdti's garage:
2004 Saab 9-5 HOT Aero and a 2001 Audi A3 1.8 Turbo
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome