Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Autobox/Service Light

View Single Post
post #4 of (permalink) Old 11th November 2007
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Not stupid at all, I thought I would check the level of mine when I did a service.

Checking on Diagloys (think that is how you spell it, Renault manual on CD) the autobox is supposed to be filled for life.

To either check the level or refill you need to use a Diagnostic computer to check the transmission is up to the right operating temperature before checking that the fluid is up to the level of the fill plug (top of gear box on my JEOD).

I am currently getting same fault light when engine is cold, gearbox then seems to go into limp home mode (i.e. stuck in 3rd gear, like winter setting) if you then stop after about ten minutes and stop engine and restart everything is back to normal until engine cools down... tehn back to same sequence.

From previous automatics this could just be low fluid level which expands when warm, but no easy way to check, no dipstick etc. Considering buying an aftermarket diagnostic/fault code reader as I would like to know what problem is before a Renault Dealer sees it. This is my third gearbox, 1st failed at 44,000, 2nd didn't work when fitted and now at 78,000.

I can find no reference to any other way to get fault codes out of system, on many makes you can get them to flash out, display on trip meter etc. for servicing in small garages etc.
Currently in Hartley's garage:
1998 Renault Espace 3.0 RXE; 2002 Ford Explorer "North Face" 4.0; 1993 BMW 525ix (4x4)
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome