I have a 2004 Clio 1.5 DCI (with a high mileage), recently the toxic fumes light came on, so I took it to a Renault Dealer who, after running diagnostics said my
valve needs to be cleaned and one of my glow plugs is faulty, but suggested all four should be replaced.
I asked them to clean the
valve because the cost of replacing the plugs was a bit high, when I picked the car up they told me the toxic fumes light will go off and then come back on because of the faulty glow plugs, and that was exactly what happened.
I bought glow plugs and took the car to my mechanic friend, he fitted them but he said my old ones were just fine, and the toxic fumes light is still on.
I have already spent about £150 on it and I am getting a bit frustrated. Anybody with ideas what I should do? Should I take it back to the dealer, do I have the right to have a go at them because my light is still on? I mean they should have tools to identify what is wrong and not do guess work, the car has high mileage, so plenty of things will 'need' replacement, but I don't want to replace every single thing at the moment, I just want to turn the bloody light off.
PS: On the day the light came on I realized, after driving for 50 miles that a newspaper was stuck on the front grill and some of it was sucked in (it was a windy day), could this have anything to do with the toxic fumes light?