Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Sticking Hand brake

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 18th November 2015 Thread Starter
Diamond member
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Question Sticking Hand brake

Hey people

Ok so since owning the car from late July I've experience a little hand brake stick which I know happens and I had it with my other older car. On and off its done it on this one with varying stuckness (not sure if that's even a word!) but a few days ago it was stuck where car wouldn't budge so I was able to get local mechanic to come by and he gave rear drums a thwack which eventually freed them up. I'd read about this being a "cure" and he said brakes could be fine and it just happens. Says he sold one like mine recently which did this but brakes were like new. He also suggested parking in gear but maybe leave hand brake off - I've also read this but I don't fancy doing this really to be honest.
So I wondered if anyone has advice on this and thoughts about this sort of thing? What could be simplest cheapest fix if one is needed? I know it could be due to a few things.
Background info - car as people may know is a mark 3 Clio 2007 1.4 16v, not used every day and the occurrence of the car being totally stuck came a week of non use after washing and rain (as we know recently!) on and off. Last few days I've been out to make sure it's free moving - yesterday was fine but today slight stick when I released hand brake and move it myself without engine running. Also I might add the mechanic suggested driving and gently apply hand brake to clean up the brakes which I did with caution o might add.

Sorry for the long post
Thanks again
Currently in funkin79's garage:
Renault Clio 1.4 16v Expression - 2007
  5 Lastest Threads by funkin79
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
Road Rage help info please General Chat philipjohnson82 36 970 5th February 2016 02:33 PM
Mk3 Clio mirror removal Bodywork ours2012 5 561 17th December 2015 06:25 PM
Clio mk3 2007 heated wing mirrors help Electronics funkin79 30 1378 15th December 2015 02:44 PM
Clio 07 dash speaker buzzing In-car entertainment funkin79 2 503 11th December 2015 09:15 AM
Clio mk3 fuse confusion! Electronics Mike H025 44 2203 26th November 2015 10:47 AM
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome