Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - MOT Questions And Advice

View Single Post
post #15 of (permalink) Old 15th November 2007 Thread Starter
Veteran Member
Technical Supremo
Nominated 2 Times in 20 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 18
Thanked 1,103 Times in 942 Posts
There is no limit as to the things you can advise,although the other tester where I work has said that he failed and advised so many things on one test that the computer wouldn't let him put any more in!..The advise sheet is an excellent new development,and if you ever buy a car and it has indication on the certificate that an advise was issued with it,then ALWAYS ask to see it.It will give you a far better idea of the state of the car than the MOT certificate it's self.

As for Ottos point,if you think of the hourly rate that most main dealers charge,they are actually loosing money by doing MOT's!.I'd say that at our garage,90% of the cars that fail are fixed by us,but in most cases it's just bulbs/wiperblades/tyres etc.The cost of an MOT is worked out as an average of all the hourly rates around the country and is adjusted every year.Really,50 is a bargain to ensure that your car is safe.If you booked your car in for an hours work at most main dealers you'd be looking at 80+.

I'd rather push my Alfa than drive a BMW....
Currently in Lagdti's garage:
2004 Saab 9-5 HOT Aero and a 2001 Audi A3 1.8 Turbo
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome