Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - undertaking

Thread: undertaking
View Single Post
post #9 of (permalink) Old 15th February 2006
Platinum member
Nominated 0 Times in 7 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 8
Originally Posted by Benny79
I'll just point out that I "slip" past on the inside too...I don't take the BMW approach and come flying up behind someone at full-bore, main beams and fogs on, then screech into the inside lane...drop a cog and floor it, before cutting back out again!
Having had the pleasure of full blown road-rage from a Rover driver (no, this isn't a dig at you, Selwonk) simply for flashing him to move into the (perfectly clear) inside lane of the two lane slip that links the M6 south to the M56 West, I tend to do things in the following order now when confronted with someone hogging the outside lane:
1) Hang to the right (offside wheels practically on the rumble strip.) That usually gives them the message that you're trying to go faster than them rather than being happy just keeping up. Most people will move over if they're paying any attention to their rear view mirror.
2) If that doesn't work and it's clear to undertake, move over and pass on the left.
3) Otherwise, try a single flash of the lights, just in case they're asleep.
4) If all else fails, sit and wait for an opportunity to undertake.

I should add that some drivers really take being undertaken personally, even when they're in the wrong. I had a cretin hogging the middle lane in an Audi a few months back, with a Passat taking so long to overtake that I'd probably still have been stuck behind the pair of them two miles later. So I moved into the inside lane, got half way past the Audi, at which point he stuck his left indicator on and started to move into my lane. He knew full well I was there, because when he didn't hear the screech of brakes, and see me appear in his rear view mirror, he stopped moving across while half way between both lanes. With no time to brake and stay in lane, I'd made the decision to move half way onto the hard shoulder and put my foot to the floor.

Once I was fully back into lane 1, I got loads of flashing lights and gesticulating. Once he'd got that out of his system, he moved straight back into lane 2 and continued to CLOD along the motorway.

The best bit? He caught up with me later in traffic and tried to undertake me in lane 2. Fortunately, I was able to box him in. I'm not proud of driving like that on this occasion (I know it consitutes tailgating) but some a***holes deserve all they get.
Currently in Horatio's garage:
2010 Laguna III Initiale.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome