Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Laguna I - Phase 1 - Heating and Cooling - Possible fix for cold heater

View Single Post
post #54 of (permalink) Old 17th November 2007 Thread Starter
Diamond member
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Re: Clio.....

Hi KatFlap.....

On balance my answer to that would be NO, don't do that........not unless you have reason to think the ENTIRE cooling system is really in a mess.

A couple of reasons why......

1) Filling the entire system with dilute acid will generate quite a lot of Carbon Dioxide (CO2) from the dissolving scale, which if trapped by a sealed system (Rad cap on) will likely blow out somewhere through the pressure build up.

2) The water pump is designed to get part of its lubrication from the anti-freeze, replacing it all with Q&B path-clear risks damaging the pump bearings.

If you really want to run it with a flushing agent for a day or two before attempting to clear the heater core, use a proprietary cleaner sold for the purpose.......but if the heater is very clogged I doubt this will shift it.

Try to employ the general principles I outlined for the Laguna on your Clio's heater - From the posts sent back, it does / has worked for quite a few people.

Best of Luck!

Currently in spirochete's garage:
Jaguar V8 Sport / Mercedes 'E" / Laguna 1.8RT
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome