Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - People that....

Thread: People that....
View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 15th February 2006 Thread Starter
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Send a message via MSN to _stu_
People that....

.....dont like the look of our car!

I can't believe the nerve of some people on our estate. We have 2 cars at the minute. Our Clio; which is used every day, and my brothers (slightly older - k reg) Astra. The Astra doesnt tend to move much. It's insured and registered in my name, until he passes his test (he bought it through family cheaply just after he turned 17). We take it for a run once a week just to keep it ticking over for him. Its parked at the end of our street, just like everyone elses car.

Yesterday morning I got hounded by the woman who lives in the end house, asking if we were "ever going to use the car, as its never moved".

Admittedly, its parked rather close to their home-grown driveway (basically they have to reverse their car into the back yard - the car *just* fits in there, if they go slow and at a funny angle). Now the Astra has been parked in the end spot for about 2 months now. Its out of the way, and the space is always free when we come back from running it. No problems, or so I thought. Normally, you would expect someone to say something if you were blocking them in or out.

She starts ranting on about how its a fire hazard cos theres a coat in the back. It never moves, and they've been extremely patient with us not moving it. Then starts harping on about how they have problems getting in and out of the drive way because the car is "always there". I explain to her that yes, it is there a lot, because its parked up waiting on bro passing his test. Then she asks why I can't park it round the corner in the next group of houses car bays. At this point I'm startig to get wound up in a "WTF!" kind of way. So I tell her when I come back I'll shift it down a bit, if they are having problems with the drive. (Can see this post taking a while to read - lol)

Anyhoo. I comes back from picking up the missus from work, and we procede to move the said Astra down a few spaces, as a courtesy to them. After all its a public road, and the car is taxed and insured.

This is where things get interesting. About an hour later we get a knock on the door. Tis the Bloke from the end house. He goes off on a tirade, shouting and swearing at my fiancee, asking if we're "being funny" moving the car to there. He's sick of seeing the car, knows we very rarely run it because he's "always home". Accuses it of being a fire risk, and telling us that we should move it to the other car park. All because he's sick of seeing it. At this point the other neighbours come out to see what's going on. (The way I see it this guy is making a complete fool of himself) At this point he demands to see our documents for the car.(Who does this guy think he is, the only way he has rights to see them is if he bumps the car, and that would be a bit silly of him to be honest) My other half quite rightly tells him to bugger off and get off our property. The car is taxed and insured, and is not causing an obstruction to anyone. Well, after more cursing and swearing, his wife appears at the door now too. Ranting on about "two cars", "never moving" and "parking round the other side". I'm sure I saw the woman from the house opposite looking through the window with a smile on her face at this point. Anyway, we get the whole "we've been patient with you for two months, and haveput up with the car being there" line again. To which my fiancee replies "well we aren't mind readers, if you needed it moved to get into your drive, all you needed to do was ask". The reply went along the lines of "well we didnt want to say anything". Closely followed by a whole host of curses beginning with f and ending in uck, but not being farmhouse truck, as they stormed off in the huff.

Well we didn't know whether to laugh or cry at this point. I mean, we still don't understand why they had to have a go at us. We aren't loud, messy or anything like that. We keep ourselves to ourselves etc etc. Anyway, I feel better for getting it of my chest, would be interesting to get some impartial takes on the whole thing.

I suppose the most important question now is.....Do we take them off the Christmas Card list?

Cheers for reading

Stu with a fully vented spleen
Currently in _stu_'s garage:
2002 Megane 1.6i 16v (like the old clio but a bit bigger)
  5 Lastest Threads by _stu_
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
02 Megane - Thought it was the coils Engines scubabeaver 5 1278 3rd April 2008 02:38 PM
People that.... Cars & motoring scen1c 13 1586 15th February 2006 01:35 PM
Just wanted to say... Welcome to RenaultForums _stu_ 4 827 13th December 2005 10:17 PM
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome