Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Sticking Hand brake

View Single Post
post #40 of (permalink) Old 27th November 2015 Thread Starter
Diamond member
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Re: Sticking Hand brake

Originally Posted by madnoel10 View Post
If the brakes are in good order you should be able to leave the handbrake fully applied for at least a month. Many folks do it when going on holiday. Plus cars in cold artic climates should be able to cope.

If the problem persists then something is amiss. I have seen this problem numerous times on Renaults and the least work I would do is to clean the brake drums with course emery paper and renew the brake shoes and check out the self-adjustment mechanism is clean and working correctly. If that doesn't cure the problem then it will involve checking further. I have seen cases were drums, cylinders, return spring kits, drums, handbrake cables and the self-adjuster renewed.

It is not uncommon for this problem to raise its ugly head just before the brake linings start to delaminate from their shoes.
Cheers for the info there. I hope what the garage have done will help the issue. They seemed to think it was the probable cause. The printout states they removed rear shoes, clean and lubricate all adjusters, refaced shoes and adjust as required.
Currently in funkin79's garage:
Renault Clio 1.4 16v Expression - 2007
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome