Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Scenic - Rear Suspension Knock,Shock Absorbers Commonly Snapping

View Single Post
post #45 of (permalink) Old 21st November 2007
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0

I agree this must be a common fault on Scenics. My wifes 02 1.6 16v driverside rear shock went a month ago. Same symptoms, knocking at back etc. Shock had sheared just as in the above photos. I replaced both shocks with bilsteins from Europarts (part no 625745675) at 52.50 inc vat for a pair (. Guess what, 6 weeks later and the same shock on the same side has gone again.

What I think has happened is that I tightened the upper bolt with the wheel off and the car jacked up, ie the suspension at full stretch. It is recommended that the wheel is replaced and the car lowered to the ground before tightening, presumably so that the shock is tightened at its normal working angle. This can be quite awkward as the upper nut is not the easiest to get to unless the car is jacked up, but I would advise against taking the easy option until Renault decide to fit better mountings to the upper part of these shocks!

Last edited by Pauli363; 21st November 2007 at 10:28 AM.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome