Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Filling up - 2001 Laguna 2, 1.9cdi

View Single Post
post #17 of (permalink) Old 7th August 2005
Diamond member
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Badly maintained pumps

Originally Posted by Nick
Has anyone experienced fuel filling problems with their Series 2 Laguna.

No matter how delicate I am with the nozzle trigger, it keeps tripping out and it takes an age to get a decent amount of diesel into the tank..

Any ideas on how to overcome this would be greatly appreciated..

Hi all,

Just found this forum looking for info on Lagunas, as I've just bought one (picking it up on Wednesday). Doesn't seem to be many posts about the earlier Lagunas, maybe that's a good thing.

As for the filling problem, I have it with my current car sometimes (Rover 620SLi). I figured out a pattern to it, after thinking it was a blocked tank breather or something.

As the others say, holding the gun back a couple of inches solves the problem, presumably by leaving enough room for the air to get out of the tank as the fuel replaces it. Not having room for the air to get out will cause an airlock and make the pump trip out.

The reason for it is this. If you look at the end of the nozzle on the fuel pump you'll see a small hole under the main nozzle of the gun. This is an air vent which should let the air escape from your tank as it's filling up, but I've noticed on a lot of garages this will be blocked, or bent over probably by the constant bashing the nozzle gets everytime it's returned to the pumps.

I've found supermarket garages nozzles seem to be in better condition than the big names, Shell, BP etc. When you get a pump that's working properly you don't have a problem.

Try a different pump is you use the same garage all the time, or even change garages. It probably also helps if you complain when you go in to pay, if enough people point it out, they might actually spend some time cleaning the breather out on the pump nozzle to stop it happening.

Currently in HD462's garage:
2000 Renault Laguna 1.9dti estate

Last edited by HD462; 7th August 2005 at 11:40 PM.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome