Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Can anyone give me advise?

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 22nd November 2007 Thread Starter
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0

Can anyone out there give me their advise?

I have a 52 plate Scenic 1.9 DCI Dynamic +

About 3 weeks ago my aux drive belt snapped, I took it to a garage and they eventually changed the belt and tensioner.

They brought it back and I started it up, it then had this terrible knocking noise, because of this they took the car back. I investigated on this site and pointed out to them that it could be the clutch pulley on the alternator. Which they claim they did not know about. So they contacted a vehicle electricial, who confirmed this so they then changed the pulley. All of this came to just under 300.

Monday I had trouble starting the car and when I did the noise had returned, but this time as I accelerated out 1200 rpm it did not go away. I parked back up and called the RAC. The patrol man came and said it sounded mechanically as if something was out of time. He said to get the engine checked and do not start it up.

I called out another garage (as I had lost faith in the first) they contacted my wife to say that it looks like the cam belt had gone and that had caused damage to the engine. They contacted the first garage to see what they had done. the advise he gave us was that they should get them to pick it up and to sort it out.

1. What is my position on this? Should I see if they fix and I pay for parts not labour? As the second mechanic reackons it may have been something they did in the first place that has caused the damage.

2. Pay about 1300 to have a new engine and try to claim it back.

3. I am stuck with the bill with no comeback and a car I'd like to get rid of.

I've got a feeling this is going to get nasty as thay are all ready claiming it not there fault.

Should they have checked the cam/timing or is that not possible. I know from this site that when the Auxillary drive belt goes it can cause cam belt problems.

If there is anyone who can advise me on this I would appriciate it.

They been in touch they say they didnt check the cam belt for debris and that you don't need to as with 15 years experience they know what they are doing.

I'll have to see how much it will be, they should get back in a day or 2

Last edited by ottoman; 22nd November 2007 at 06:49 PM.
  5 Lastest Threads by ccmc
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
Can anyone give me advise? Cars & motoring ottoman 6 1333 22nd November 2007 10:43 AM
Engine Noise Engines ccmc 2 912 19th November 2007 12:25 PM
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome