Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Really need advice. Please.

View Single Post
post #8 of (permalink) Old 4th December 2015
Renoir White
Platinum Member located in the UK
Technical Supremo
Nominated 9 Times in 16 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 32
Thanked 1,445 Times in 1,200 Posts
Re: Really need advice. Please.

Originally Posted by Charliehigh2016 View Post
I bought the Renault scenic on 10.07.2015 From a local guy who sells cars from his home it was up for 600
As said by another member I don't think you have a leg to stand on either. I guess the seller is a 'home trader' working along the lines of a private seller rather than an established dealer who would be VAT registered and a limited company etc.
At only 600 your car wouldn't have come with any warranty so its a case of 'let the buyer beware' in the legal sense.
The only 'claim' you might tentatively have is if the vehicle was knowingly mis-described when sold to you eg it had a new exhaust system when it clearly still has an old rusty one in place.
But a lot of time has passed so its unlikely any organisation will back a case for you. The most I can see happening is the 'trader' may be stopped from selling from home any more but it won't get your car fixed or your money back.
I take it you traded your Lupo for a bigger car but I'm sorry to say you have entered into a bad transaction on this occasion and ended up with a lemon.
The MOT fail doesn't sound as disasterous as the garage has implied .... yes they've got to make it sound that way in order to cover themselves should you choose to drive the vehicle away .. YES it is DANGEROUS to drive a car with corroded brake pipes etc, but these and the other things ,tyres etc are easily replaceable.
You have got to weigh up whether the Scenic is worth having repaired or do you cut your losses and buy something else .. even something else cheap.
There's nothing wrong with cheap cars if you know how to check the mechanics of a car over properly.

Don't take without giving in return
Currently in Renoir White's garage:
Renault Trafic 1.7 Petrol Vauxhall Astra 1.4i & in bits Triumph Bonneville T140E & H-D XLH1200
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome