Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Sticking Hand brake

View Single Post
post #72 of (permalink) Old 5th December 2015 Thread Starter
Diamond member
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Re: Sticking Hand brake

I just wanted to ask if someone can explain in simple terms as possible his exactly the car in gear with handbrake off acts as a brake (or should I say how it prevents car from moving)?

I'm considering leaving car with handbrake off and in first gear during colder wetter months. I was also wondering if it's totally necessary to also chock or wedge the tyres as an extra safety precaution? I'm on flat ground when parked so I'd hope roll was unlikely so I can't decide if I'm gear is enough to keep car stationary? I'm thinking worst case scenarios like someone driving or nudging into back of me - would car in gear be as stationary as it would be if handbrake is applied?

Final question: is there any risk to braking system by not actually using the handbrake such as quicker wear from the elements if it's not engaged? By the way, I don't mean I'm never going to use the handbrake ever again it's just when parked for more than a few days during these colder wetter months.

Currently in funkin79's garage:
Renault Clio 1.4 16v Expression - 2007
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome