Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Immobiliser Mystery

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 24th November 2007 Thread Starter
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Question Immobiliser Mystery

I've been a lurker here for a while, using the board to help me with various problems but this recent one has me stumped.

I have a 99 Clio Mk2 Phase 1 (Petrol) and lately the immobiliser has been acting up. It has happened to me before but I just switched to my spare key and thought nothing of it. Bad idea! Central locking has never given me any problems, only the immobiliser.

The first thing I did was to replace the batterys in both keys (I believe they are the plip one's, little led on them). This worked for a short while. I then found that if I hold the button on the key as I turn it in the ignition the immobiliser acts normally. However this can sometimes take several attempts and is something I cannot continue to do.

Having got a day off work I decided to make the most of it. I followed the guide in my Haynes manual, checking battery connections, HT leads and all other electrical connections. Also used WD40 on connections to rid them of any damp. Tried the key and it worked fine. Tried it several times. Locking the doors and unlocking then trying the key. All worked fine. Came back later to find it was being tempremental again.

I have read posts involving the emergency start code etc. However the sticker in the drivers door sill on my car was damaged when I bought it so unable to retrieve the numbers off it to get the code. Although if I do the first few steps of the procedure up to the point where I would enter the code, I can simply turn the key in the barrell and I am able to start the engine.

I am yet to check within the courtesy light for any loose connections or damp, this is my challange for today. Fingers crossed.

I always only turn the key as far as the electrics and immobiliser to see if is working. Never as far as letting the engine turn over as I know this can drain the car battery.

I am trying all options before I approach a dealer having heard of their rather high prices. I hope there is someone out there who can help me.

Thanks in advance
Currently in Glitch's garage:
1999 Renault Clio 1.2 Grande RN

Last edited by Glitch; 24th November 2007 at 08:06 AM.
  5 Lastest Threads by Glitch
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
Clio - Continuous Starting Engines madnoel10 6 1472 30th October 2008 07:07 PM
Clio Leaking Engines Glitch 6 3352 25th May 2008 02:23 PM
Immobiliser Mystery Electronics sparki1 8 1452 24th November 2007 08:04 AM
Renault Clio - Missing paint code sticker Bodywork madnoel10 5 15583 7th March 2007 06:51 AM
Wing Mirror Damage Bodywork Marky 14 2663 6th January 2007 05:36 PM
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome