Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Really need advice. Please.

View Single Post
post #45 of (permalink) Old 7th December 2015
Diamond member
Nominated 5 Times in 2 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 2
Re: Really need advice. Please.

Originally Posted by TTT View Post
I've seen a lot of brake pipes that have failed MOT's but the pipes aren't really that bad. The original factory pipes have plastic coating on them and when this starts to come off the pipes look very bad, often a quick rub over with some emery cloth and you're left with nice clean pipes. A good coating of waxoil, grease, etc keeps them in good condition.

My experience is that different MOT testers have greatly varying degrees of what they pass on corroded brake lines. Our current mk4 Astra had rotten brake lines as an advisory on its last test. I gave them a quick clean down to remove the surface rust (don't be too vigerous and sand through them though!) and gave them a nice coating of copper grease to stop them getting worse. No more advisory.

On the parking brake, do you have rear drums or discs? Might just need the parking brake tightening up a bit if the cable has stretched over the years.

As others have said, it doesn't look that bad a fail list. In fact, the tyres are standard wear+tear things and given that its below minimum depth, that's your own fault for not keeping check on tyre depth tread. Its entirely the drivers responsibility to ensure that they have legal amounts of tread on them. The rest is just stuff wearing out from being a 14 year old car.

I'd hazard a guess that it probably did pass legitimately ~12 months ago, and these are just things that have worn down in that time.

Currently in SimonC1's garage:
2005 Laguna 2 (Phase 2) V6 Initiale, 2007 Civic 2.2CTDi
The Following User Says Thank You to SimonC1 For This Useful Post:
Charliehigh2016 (7th December 2015)
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome