Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Whats your best car ever?

View Single Post
post #34 of (permalink) Old 25th November 2007
Veteran Member
Technical Supremo
Nominated 2 Times in 20 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 18
Thanked 1,103 Times in 942 Posts
Mmm,difficult one this.....

I suppose the best car I've ever had was an Audi A4 Avant a few years ago.We had had a succession of cr4p cars and decided to spend out on something a bit better.My wife had always liked the A4,and really wanted a turbo diesel one.......

.....well,at the time we borrrowed some money and just as it came through,we had an A4 Avant come in as part exchange against a Beemer we had at work.My boss did me a bit of a deal,and I bought it.....without Mrs Lag even seeing it.......I came home and told her that I'd bought an A4 and her eyes lit up.The usual questions came,what colour(very dark blue/purple metallic),is it in good condition(yes,it was pretty much mint),what size engine did it have and was it diesel.....('s a petrol....and it's a 2.6 v6)........she wasn't amused!.How can we afford the fuel bills,she enquired.I said that if we didn't use it much,the fuel bills would be fine!.(bearing in mind that the previous two cars were a non- turbo diesel 306 that did about 60mpg,and then a ZX 1.9 turbo diesel that did 50mpg.)

Anyway,I brought it home and she loved the car,but still wasn't convinced about the engine.I gave it a proper all over valet(the only car I've properly cleaned in my life!),bought some nice A4 Sport wheels for it on ebay ,some clear side repeaters,andI'm ashamed to say I also put some quattro badges on it..It looked the muts nuts,and my love affair with that car started.

To cut a long story short,we sold it 6 months later at a loss of nearly a grand due to us spending 80 a week on fuel doing very few journeys!..Enough was enough,and I bought another ZX turbo diesel,which wasn't a bad car,but felt awful compared to the Audi..I'm probably still paying for that car now,but it was worth it.Everytime I drove it,it put a smile on my face,and it made you feel special.Unfortunately I never got round to taking any photos of it,so all I have are my memories....sniff,sniff!.

Still,I learnt a very valuable lesson......not sure what it was though!.

I'm off to dry my tears.....

I'd rather push my Alfa than drive a BMW....
Currently in Lagdti's garage:
2004 Saab 9-5 HOT Aero and a 2001 Audi A3 1.8 Turbo
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome