Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - MOT Questions And Advice

View Single Post
post #24 of (permalink) Old 27th November 2007 Thread Starter
Veteran Member
Technical Supremo
Nominated 2 Times in 20 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 18
Thanked 1,103 Times in 942 Posts
Here are some more myths and truths.

MYTH:The handbrake on my car pulls up 7 clicks,this will fail the MOT.

TRUTH:There isn't a maximum amount of clicks your allowed on a handbrake lever,as long as there is reserve travel when the lever is fully pulled up.You can pull the lever up 20 clicks,and as long as you can feel that there is more travel to be taken up and the mechanism isn't against it's stop,then that is perfectly acceptable.

MYTH:If the space saver spare wheel is fitted on to the car to replace a punctured tyre,my car will still pass it's MOT.

TRUTH:Your car will fail if it has different sized tyres across an axle,so a space saver instantly fails.It is for temporary use only.......
You could have two space savers fitted on the front,and this would pass as they are the same size across the axle.

MYTH:My car has a sports exhaust fitted to and as it is new and is in good condition,it will pass an MOT.

TRUTH:If a car has an exhaust on it which makes it louder than a standard car of the same type with an exhaust in good condition,then it should fail.You can fit your old exhaust back on,have it MOT'd and then re-fit the sports one and that is your own business,but a loud exhaust should instantly fail.

MYTH:If a car has the suspension lowered by a certain amount,it would automatically fail an MOT.

TRUTH:As long as there is sufficiant clearance between the bodywork and the suspension components,then it passes.The wheels obviously need clearance to the bodywork(including on a lock) as do the rest of the suspension parts,otherwise it's fine.The only thing is that the car needs to be able to get on to a ramp and be able to be jacked up,and this can cause problems at certain stations,but there are garages with the capabilies of testing such cars,otherwise you average Ferrari or Lamborghini wouldn't ever pass their MOT's!.

I'd rather push my Alfa than drive a BMW....
Currently in Lagdti's garage:
2004 Saab 9-5 HOT Aero and a 2001 Audi A3 1.8 Turbo
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome