Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Megane - Engines - Megane oil light

View Single Post
post #16 of (permalink) Old 19th February 2006
Veteran Member
Technical Supremo
Nominated 2 Times in 20 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 18
Thanked 1,103 Times in 942 Posts
If it's relatively straight foward to drop the sump off the engine I think I'd be tempted to have a look and see if anything untoward is in there.The more I think about it,it sounds as though the pump is running dry for split second as the oil moves around in the sump.
You really do need to find out if when the light is flickering on that you do have oil pressure.It's all very well checking it when the car is stationary but the problem your having is when you move.Even though the light is only on for a second or two,if it is indeed low on pressure then this will seriously shorten the life of the engine.
Just a quick thought,has the engine got the right dipstick fitted.If it's incorrect then it could be showing an incorrect level(i.e too low) and this would give a similar fault.
As I have said,I would seriously consider dropping the sump and having a look,as much as anything,to give you a little peace of mind.

I'd rather push my Alfa than drive a BMW....
Currently in Lagdti's garage:
2004 Saab 9-5 HOT Aero and a 2001 Audi A3 1.8 Turbo
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome