Independent Renault Forums banner

Auxilary Display Temperature?

7K views 22 replies 4 participants last post by  jgildert 
#1 ·
Hi all (again),
Sorry for pestering, but had anyone got the same car as me (Clio Grande 1.2 W reg) or similar and has an EXTERNAL TEMPERATURE readout on their auxilary display?

Unfortunately I havent, just wondering how to go about this? I can see the LCD display "Looks" like it supports this feature, but is it enabled, or just a matter of putting a probe across 2 inputs on the display?

Regards,
John :d

#3 ·
thanks for the reply, from reading the other forums i guessed this is where the probe would be located.

Time to get out the haynes and see how to get those mirror glasses out without smashing them!

IF, if if....the wiring is there, is it just a matter of adding the probe..... or do you need other components that you know of?

#5 ·
Behold! I have no wiring in my mirrors :(

and now! I have a nice smashed one toooooooooooooo!!!! *doh*
DON'T Follow the ¤¤¤¤ty Haynes manual about flatblades going in from the top... *cough* *Smash*

Anyway, seeing how i NEED to go to the scrappers for a mirror tomorrow, which car should I look in to get the sender and tear apart to see how its wired :)

Regards, JG

#7 ·
Hi jgildert, the Clio2 Grande doesnt have the exterior temp guage fitted at all, it was only in the RXE or Alize models or if you chose the electric mirror option, until the Phase 2 models.

To retro fit it you need Electric mirrors with the sensor and you need a different centre dash display, plus the sensor and the wiring, even then it may need to be enabled on the ECU using CLIP at a dealers ... could end up costing a lot of money ....

Hope it helps :)

#8 ·
aye, and here's me thinking i'd just plug a temperature probe into the auxilary display :(

i've got access to plenty of breakers :)

the only reason i thought was because the LCD has the capability, it just doesn't display it.

Was wondering if anyone knew if the temperature probe simply connected to some of the pins on the clock module, seeing how it has nothing to do with the engine, so i didnt think it would be anything to do with the ECU.....

#10 ·
aye, and here's me thinking i'd just plug a temperature probe into the auxilary display :(

i've got access to plenty of breakers :)

the only reason i thought was because the LCD has the capability, it just doesn't display it.

Was wondering if anyone knew if the temperature probe simply connected to some of the pins on the clock module, seeing how it has nothing to do with the engine, so i didnt think it would be anything to do with the ECU.....

Know the feeling ..... :( from about 1999 almost everything in a Renault goes through the ECU or the timer/uch module .... if you have easy access to the the kit at a cheap price ... have a go ... not much to lose :)

#11 ·
I'll see what i can tear apart in the scrappers tomorrow,
Love it down there anyway! - its fun!

So if i find a recent clio (or if i go round taking the backs of the mirrors off and find one, you rekkon i have a chance of fitting it?

Oh, and if i do, i promise a step by step :)

#12 · (Edited)
hi guys my keyfob on my mk2 clio went kerplunk a while back so after saving up my pennies i decided to buy a new one, £140 from my dealer. after waiting a month and a half for it it came in and now im being told that i cant get it recoded to the car because there is a problem with the imobiliser bit on my uch. is there a way to fix this or do i have to buy a new uch as they have quoted me £322 for a new one. any help would be greatfull!! thanks
Please post in the correct forum and there are HUNDREDS of helpful posts about keys and immobilisers.

SEARCH FUNCTION -> ORANGE BAR ACROSS TOP

#13 ·
well got my 3rd nipple today and yet ANOTHER clock unit! will have a go when this rubbish weather clears up.

Had a look at the wiring and took some pics on ma phone whilst i was down at the scrappers, although i took the sensor out of an old laguna. oh and it did work, as the car was in good nick! all electronics still up and running! Listening to century FM as I destroyed a door panel! (Shame if anyone wanted a nice door panel!)

Oh, I wouldn't ADVISE turning the ignition in ANY scrap car - just incase there's a petrol leakage :) :) :)

#15 · (Edited)
if you'd have seen me clambering over cars stacked on oily racks 3 cars high most with sharp edges, you may have shuddered!

yet i find it exhilarating climbing that high, just for one part you want! and having deep pockets is great for fuses and relays! :)

woo hoo! i've checked the Haynes manual and it shows where the external temperature sensor should be wired and to which pins on the auxilary :)
lts just hope my clock supports it, or i can get one with temperature feature :)

#16 ·
GO and GET yourselves a 3rd Nipple!!!

THIS IS AN EASY MODIFICATION TO MAKE!!!

For those who can get their Dashboard off! :rofl:

Once you have the "Outside Air Temperature Sensor" nipple (Which can be torn off a car from your local Scrap Yard) - I got mine from an old Megane....

It is easy to fit to youe existing Clio Auxilary Diaplay.

It simply wires (ON THE GREY plug attatched to the back of the clock module) between

Pin 1 (Beige Wire)
- and -
Pin 5 (Black Wire)

Thats all there is!! Woop! You have outside temperature display! It picks up on the resistance automatically and updates itself! Easy as Pie!

No Adaptors, No New Clock Modules! :d :d :d

(P.S. Wiring it to the correct position - Under the passenger side wing mirror may prove a little more difficult) :) Oh - and its not a "Live" update, takes about 20 seconds to register a change.

Attachments

#18 ·
Well I won't state that it's calibrated to any exacting standards, but probably just as accurate as any

Made-In-Taiwan-Stick-Me-to-Dash-7-Colour-14-in-one-thermometer

That you could buy from Halfords in the "Tacky Plastic" Aisle :)

Oh and I managed to wire it real neat through the wing mirror and door panel - Nice and tidy!

It said about 5°c when it had finally settled, which I beleive thanks to the horrid weather in Bolton :)

I will check it against my "Radio Shack" external thermometer when I can find the probe :) :) :)
*No comments please* :)

#21 ·
In my experience the renault exterior temp sensors seem to be quite accurate - but due to their location tend to get a bit of wear and tear. So a second hand one from a scrappy is likely to have had a hard life. Just watch a scrap car getting thrown around on a forklift in soem of the scrapyards. Also remember a proper fitted one may well have resistors or a voltage regulator in the wiring to smooth our all the voltage variations that occur in an unregulated circuit. Temp sensors are very susceptible to voltage variations simply because they rely on resistance as a means of measuring:) Generally temp sensors on cars do not run at 12 volts but at a regulated 10 volt.:)

#22 · (Edited)
Aye, but I would have thought that the regulators would be enclosed within the clock unit, seeing how it picked up on the resistance straight away. -

Maybe i should double check my connections, and I did check the sensor in the car i pulled it out of, as it had only just been brought in, everything still switched on and worked (Showed -40 when disconnected and went to 13 when I connected it again!)

Or perhaps it really is 5°c outside :)

thanks MadNoel10, and I will have another look tomorrow!

#23 ·
Did a quick test today with a "Teddington" 12v Panel Mount Thermometer (Think I Ripped it off a fridge)

And yes, it is correct :)

Obviously within 1°c isn't too bad (Due to the rounding up/down I assume)

Teddington said 7°
Car said 6°

Ho Hum! Mystery Solved !

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.