Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Laguna 2 - Sticking Sunroof*FIXED*

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 4th December 2007 Thread Starter
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Renault Laguna 2 - Sticking Sunroof*FIXED*

I recently started having a problem where my sunroof would tilt fine but would only slide open about half way before hitting something in the roof and stopping. Havent used sunroof much and the car is now 4 years old. removed sunroof glass (easy, only 4 torx head screws) and could see that the noise reduction material in the roof had "drooped" from where it is stuck to the roof and was impeding the sunroof.

Rang my local Renault dealer who wanted to charge me 200 (incl) VAT to just remove the material and not replace it!

I had no desire to remove the headlining or mess about with the curtain airbags.

Being a keen DIYer I have an extra long 14mm masonry drill bit and extension and along with a hammer I used that to chip away the drooping edges of the material and the sunroof is now fine.

CAUTION: This material is quite strong but it also tends to be brittle, use its brittleness to your advantage. if using a long drill bit or similiar to chip away at this material do NOT use the bit to "lever" the material off the car, this will deform the sunroof frame and the cars roof! similairly if chipping away at the material use hand power only or gentle taps with the hammer, excessive force may drive the bit into the car roof. Take your time and chip away at the material, do not try and remove large chunks just chip, chip, chip away.

Currently in kencooney's garage:
2003 renault laguna II 2.0ltr privilege
The Following User Says Thank You to kencooney For This Useful Post:
MadTogger (27th June 2010)
  5 Lastest Threads by kencooney
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
Renault Laguna 2 - Sticking Sunroof*FIXED* Laguna Kingwinter 7 5909 4th December 2007 02:33 PM
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome